Day One

Tripawds is a user-supported community. Thank you for your support!

Today was Kobalt’s surgery day. We left him at the hospital last night with the hope that everything would be okay. Neither of us slept last night, we were both tossing and turning with worry. We were both up at 5am, him to work, me to start my research. I spent hours pouring over the Tripawds website and watching youtube videos.

I used my research to distract me from how long it was taking between phone calls from the vet. I wanted to call every half an hour to check on him. I wanted to rush down there and comfort him, but I knew that stressing out the vet was NOT the way to ensure his surgery went well.

The first time the vet called was just to tell us that he was about to go into surgery and that they would call us again soon. That happened at 11:30 am. I was going crazy. I tried to read, watch YouTube, or give attention to Kobalt’s siblings.

When the second call came they told me that they were finishing up his surgery. They told me that he was doing okay,but he had lost a lot of blood. Immediately I was terrified for him. How could I leave him alone there? Were we doing the right thing? We’re going to be able to bring him home right? The vet said they were going to keep a close eye on him and update us in a few hours.

The last phone call of the day finally came at 5pm. This time they were upbeat. They told me that Kobalt was finally waking up regularly. They said he is recovering well and everyone loves him. Of course, this isn’t a surprise to me whatsoever. He is an absolute doll. Kobalt used to be my service dog, but now I guess I’ll be his service hooman. The vet tech told me that the whole office was getting a kick out of his silly tongue. Kobalt has a genetic disease and needed half the teeth in his mouth pulled a few years ago. So he takes advantage of that and tries to look as cute as possible by letting his tongue fall out of his mouth. With the pain meds effecting him it was even sillier. The office told us we can see him tomorrow and we cannot wait.

I know that we will both sleep better tonight thanks to the tech who sent us this precious picture:

To remove ads from your site and others, upgrade to a Tripawds Supporter blog!

8 thoughts on “Day One”

  1. Kobalt is beautiful AND adorable! Congratulations on making it this far. You got this! Sounds like you have been in full TDGM (Tripawd Data Gathering Mode) so you should be well prepared for when he comes home. Will it be today?

    I don’t know if you have already posted in the forums but that is the place to go with questions for dealing with all things new amputee. These blog posts go up and down quickly so if you post an urgent question here it might not get a quick answer.

    Take a deep breath and get ready to help your new tripawd be all he can be on three!

    Looking forward to learning more about Kobalt and following him through this new chapter of his life!

    Martha and the OP minus 2

  2. Happy to hear that Kobalt’s surgery went ok and that he is recovering. Please keep us updated on his progress!
    Sending lots of healings thoughts,

  3. Awwww Kobalt, you are absolutely adorable!!! I was a little late getting to this blog, so I know from your posts in the forums you are home and doing well!
    Keep on rockin ‘ Mr Cuteness!
    Sally and Alumni Happy Hannah and Merry Myrtle and Frankie too!

  4. You sweetie pie. I’m so glad things worked out. I can’t imagine how scared your people were. I would have lost it if we had gotten an update like “lost a lot of blood.” YIKES! Glad things are good now.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.